Fun Ways To Celebrate The Holidays With Your Pets
By Dr. Emily Bishop, Veterinarian
As the days get shorter, the weather gets colder and the holidays approach, understandably we want to share some of the festivity with our pets! Below are some ideas to help celebrate the holidays with your dog, or cat!
- Get your pet a gift – think a new toy or a new bed!
- Take holiday pictures with your pet, dress them up in a festive collar or outfit.
- Take a walk around your neighborhood and look at holiday lights and decorations, or take a drive to go see them.
- Watch a holiday movie with your pet snuggled up by your side – just spending time relaxing with your pet can be the best gift of all!
- Make them a festive (but safe) holiday treat – there are a myriad of treat recipes online but be cautious where you obtain your recipe. If you have any doubt of the safety of a recipe for your pet (especially if they have a history of pre-existing disease), please check with your veterinarian first. Always remember when it comes to treats that moderation is key – treats should make up less than 10% of their daily caloric intake.
- Play in the snow together, if we get any!
- Volunteer to help pets in need this season – volunteer at your local animal shelter, donate unused pet supplies, or even share information about adoptable animals on your social media!
If the hustle and bustle of the holidays tends to stress your pet out more than they are enjoying it, talk to your veterinarian about if a medication could be dispensed to help take the edge off!
From everyone here at RGAH, we wish you all a happy and safe holiday season!