9 (Yes, 9, Not 10) Reasons To Adopt A Mutt
By Dr. Meegan Weiler, Veterinarian
- As you probably already know you are quite literally saving a life. Roughly 2.7 million dogs and cats are euthanized yearly.
- Mixed breeds tend to live longer because they come from a wider gene pool and therefore are not as susceptible to recessive, undesirable traits.
- They are unique! Your dog will be one of a kind.
- You will be raising awareness to friends, family and neighbors for adopting and rescuing when they ask where you got your amazing dog.
- You can pay $2,000 for a “designer” morkie, shihpoo, pomsky or next to nothing for a very similar looking “mutt.”
- By adopting/rescuing you are a force in combating puppy mills.
- There are no preconceived notions about behavior.
- Adopting and rescuing is a “pay it forward” event. You will be opening a space for another dog to have a chance.
- My favorite – your mutt is less prone to dog theft, yep, it is a proven fact. If that does not seal the deal on adopting a mutt I don’t know what will!