5 Summertime Tips For Pet Safety

By Dr. Steven Wolchinsky, Veterinarian & Managing Partner

For many people, nothing beats lounging in the backyard during the summer with good friends and family – including the four-legged members of the household. While it may seem like a great idea to reward Rover with scraps from the grill, in reality some festive foods and products can be potentially hazardous to your pets.

Below are five tips to keep your pet safe this summer!

1.  Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them.

Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.

2.  Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent products to your pet that are not labelled specifically for use on animals.

Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can also lead to neurological problems.

3.  Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach.

Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing – or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression.

4.  Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it.

While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.

5.  Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach.

Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.

If your pet does ingest any of the above and shows signs of sickness, please call us immediately.

Leave A Comment